Stay positive- Think Positive – Have a positive attitude! We all see the memes, the tee shirts, and cute little reminders on the wooden signs and posters. Susie even has little sticky notes attached to her dashboard and desk at work to remind herself!!
This idea of being positive is not that difficult when things are going our way. Honestly, its easy to be happy and bright when all is good. But what about when the storm clouds gather and that sunlight dims? When it seems like there’s nothing but problem after problem? It’s when the winds shift and the bad things happen that we struggle to hold onto the positive! We struggle not to let it knock us down and put a halt to our productivity and our self esteem.
Even though it may seem very difficult or impossible, you can maintain a positive attitude if you remember a few of these things. These tips may help you hold it together and even emerge from that bad time or life wiser and stronger.
- One thing to remember is that the situation is temporary. No, it’s not going to be this way forever even though it seems that way. Keep it in perspective. Better times will come!
- While we know that we cant control everything that happens to us, we can control how we react and our approach to dealing with it. Those things are completely under our control. Once we acknowledge that, then we regain power in the situation and reject the victim mentality that threatens our perspective.
- Concentrate on what is going on right now. Live in the present. When we focus on the past or speculate and worry about the future, we take our energy away from what we can do to make the present better. Take charge and be proactive with the moment in which you are living.
- Remember the advice about how to eat an elephant. You can not do it in one bite, it has to be one bite at a time. Take that approach with the difficult times as well. Keep moving. Take one step at a time. Then take another step. They do not have to be big steps, even baby steps will move you in the right directions. Just keep on keeping on!!
- Look at the situation through the test of time. Ask yourself- will this matter or be important in one, five or even ten years? Separate yourself from it for a bit and then look at it from someone else’s point of view. Maybe you will see things differently.
- Give yourself a bit of time to regroup. Spend some time with the people in your life who support you. Call that friend who always makes you chuckle. Go out to eat with a group of those who know and love you. Watch a movie that will just make you laugh out loud!
- Above all else, treat yourself with love and respect. Acknowledge that bad times happen to everyone, not just you and realize that it does not define who you are. Take care of yourself and love yourself!!!
And Remember this!!!